Saturday, December 5, 2015

Book Review: #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

Recently, I was watching the Youtuber Jenn Im talk about her monthly favorites, and in the video, she talked about the book #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso. I've always admired Amoruso's clothing site Nasty Gal from afar; as a teenage girl with no source of income, her clothes are a little out of my price range! However, a book is something I'm always very willing to splurge on--though my boyfriend did in fact buy this for me, always happy to support me becoming even more badass than I already am. :P

#GIRLBOSS is an autobiography/memoir/how-to by Sophia Amoruso, the CEO of the million-dollar fashion company Nasty Gal. In it, she chronicles how she grew from a hitchhiking hipster with a shoplifting issue to being in charge of a high-powered company--in only 8 years! If that's not inspirational, I don't know what is.

For me, #GIRLBOSS was incredibly motivating. The way Amoruso writes is highly relatable and fun to read. She talks a lot about her experiences and how the mistakes she made helped her grow into the person she is today. I have a lot of trouble being confident in my skills and getting started on things, and Amoruso does a really good job encouraging the reader to go out and achieve their dreams of being a girlboss without becoming too heavy-handed. The book seems to be a little bit more geared towards other women who are working in business, but I found it to be applicable to things that I was interested as well!

I would highly suggest this book to anyone looking for a inspirational, feminist, and fun nonfiction book to read over the coming holidays!

-Kekai

No comments:

Post a Comment