Sunday, August 14, 2016

SORCERA: THE ALTERNATE UNIVERSE

Hello, everyone! I hope you've all had a lovely summer! Today I'd like to share with you something I thought would be fun. When I get writer's block, I often take the characters from my current novel, Sorcera, and rewrite them into a different story. It's very exciting--like I'm writing fanfiction for my own book.
Here is a little Road Trip AU that I wrote for my characters. They are a few short, sweet moments I wanted to capture. Let me know what you think!

[POV: Nicole]
The van is hot, and we are a sweltering mess of sweat and snark. I’m in the driver’s seat, as usual, and Adele is next to me; she has the window rolled down, and one hand hanging out.
“You’re going to get your arm snapped off.” I say. She uses her free hand to tip her sunglasses down her nose and grin, then replies, “Gotta live on the edge, Nicole.”
There are two rows of seats in the back, but Malone and Bambi are both shoved into the one nearest to us; the row furthest back is crowded with sustenance and supplies.
“Are you sure the air conditioner is on?” Bambi is sprawled out, her legs over Malone’s lap; he seems disgruntled but doesn’t move--he has previously stated that movement just makes the heat worse.
“I’m sure, Bambi. You’ve asked me to check about seven times.” I glance at the dial on the dashboard anyway though; wishful thinking. The van’s air conditioning is weak and doing nothing to help with the humidity. “Drink some more water.”
“How far are we from the campground?” Malone groans. I sigh, looking exasperatedly at Adele; Malone and Bambi are the king and queen of ‘Are we there yet?’.
“It can’t be long now.” Adele sighs, looking at the map. “We’ve been driving for hours. I’m guessing another two.”
“Nicole…” Bambi pulls her hair into a knot on top of her head and pauses to chug from a plastic water bottle. “Can’t you drive any faster?”
“Any faster and I’ll be breaking the law.”
“Maybe Adele should drive.”
“Maybe I should,” Adele chuckles. “I’d break the law for you, Bambi dearest. I swear on my driver’s license.”
“Don’t go ganging up on Nicole now, she’s doing her best.” Malone muttered. “I don’t trust Adele behind the wheel.”
“Hey, fuck you!” Adele turns and points accusingly at Malone. “Not like you’re doing anything useful!”
“I organized the supplies and stuff, remember?” Malone gestures to the incredibly messy pile of shit in the seat behind him. There’s a pause before we all start to laugh.
“Okay but seriously Nicole, pull over. You drive like a grandma.” Adele grins at me, and I groan but comply.
“Don’t blame me when you get us all killed.”

“I’ll be sure to apologize when I see you at the pearly gates.”

The cloudless blue sky has changed to a dark night, stars twinkling above the open desert road; it is cooler now, and they’re the only ones on the road. There are mountains in the distance, and there should be a town coming up, but now they’re just happy to be driving.
Adele is in the driver’s seat; she likes to drive at night, because she can go at whatever speed she wants. Bambi is next to her, curled up in a ball and listening to music; it’s something uplifting and hopeful, Bastille or Edward Sharpe or The Wombats. It’s a miracle she has yet to fall asleep, but Adele is sure it will happen within the hour.
In the backseat, Malone and Nicole are curled up together. It’s obvious that Nicole had pretended not to want to cuddle with her boyfriend, but gave in to the impulse when she was too tired to continue to be stubborn. She is now leaning against his chest, and his arms are around her. Malone’s oversized jacket is being used as a blanket, not that they really need it; the temperature is perfect for sleep.
Adele keeps driving, but knows she’ll probably pull over soon and get her own rest. They have another day of adventure ahead, and it could bring anything.

There it is! Just a couple small, unfiltered things that I wanted to share. See you all next week!

-Tasman

No comments:

Post a Comment