Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Potato Chip Sorcery (or, My Current Writing Project)

When I first came up with the idea for Sorcera, it probably would have been a better sitcom than a novel. The concept was this: a coven of young witches living in an old, abandoned library, trying to support themselves on minimum wage jobs, but mostly just messing around with their powers. The first time I put my pen to paper about this concept, I wrote a short work called "Potato Chip Sorcery", where two of my characters threw potato chips at each other using telekinesis.

Needless to say, the story has changed in tone and style quite a bit since than. I am currently in my first revision of the novel--my first draft was so bad that I was already planning the revision as I was finishing it up! Since the crappy storylines and flat characters of the first draft don't really matter anymore, for now I'll be gushing about how excited I am for my second draft--I'm currently about 13,500 words in.

In the world I've created, witches exist alongside people--some humans know about them, some don't, it's all pretty chill in that department (the president probably knows, for public safety and all). There are four elements, and each witch is tied to one of them. Each element has powers that correspond to it, and if witches combine their powers, they can often get some pretty interesting results.

The witch world is governed by various councils in various countries, but all witches bow to the Complete, a coven that has one air witch, one water witch, one earth witch, and one fire witch. It is impossible for you to cultivate a coven with this combination unless it is fated, at which point, you rise to power in the witch community. However, there's a catch. In order to remain dominant in this world, you have to kill the other Complete--otherwise, they'll kill you. And probably a lot of other people on their way to you. This is based off the idea of the dynastic cycle; power corrupts, and by the time one of the Complete is corrupt, a new one rises to take its place.

My four main characters are who really propel the story--originally based off me and three of my friends (cliche and awful, I know), they've developed into fully-fleshed characters of their own. Nicole, Malone, Adele, and Bambi are all witches, and each corresponds to one of the four elements.I'm a huge fan of character-driven novels, and so it only makes sense that these four are my favorite parts of writing Sorcera. I enjoy seeing how they interact together, learning to work as a team as they become the next Complete, forced to stand against Storm, a group of veteran witches known for their ruthlessness and power.

I could go on for ages about Sorcera, but there's plenty of time for that! You'll no doubt be hearing more about it from me soon. For now, feel free to tell me what you think of the story based on the plot summary! Thank you!

Talk to you soon,
Kekai



No comments:

Post a Comment