Friday, March 18, 2016

Origin Story: How Sorcera was Conceived

I've been writing for a long time, and when I first began writing, my stories were always based off me and my friends--cliche and silly, I know, but it was an easy way for an elementary-school student to create characters, and even now I wish me and my friends could kick ass off in some far-away galaxy or alternate universe. As I began to get more serious about my writing, I drifted away from that, but returned to it in my first draft of Sorcera. So yes, folks, originally, the four main characters were based off of me and three of my best friends.
Now, of course, these characters are more "dedicated" to my friends--they react to situations differently and are definitely their own people in their world. Nonetheless, Sorcera originated as a way for me to write about my friends having fun.
The first draft of Sorcera actually had very little plot at all. My idea had been to write about a group of quirky witches who lived in a gigantic, magical library, and got into all sorts of shenanigans in New York City together--there were no villains and no true underlying story at all. Just cute, fun witches. Indeed, I have written short stories all about them just having fun! When I decided to start writing it, I realized I needed more plot than singular chapters about them messing around, so I created Storm and the prophecy of the Complete.
So there you have it, folks. Before there was Sorcera, there was shameless self-insert fanfiction written by yours truly. And then there was cute witches who didn't have any cares in the world. Hope this was at least mildly interesting--I think it just goes to show that ideas can really come from anywhere, you just have to start writing.
Where did you get the inspiration for your current work-in-progress?

Kekai

No comments:

Post a Comment