Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Fostering a Writing Routine: The Journey So Far

After going through a rough bout of depression and finally getting on some meds just in time for the new year, I've been pushing myself to start getting more seriously into writing again. For me, this meant making one of my resolutions to try and write every single day (see my full list of resolutions here!). I made my goal modest: only ten minutes. 
The first few days went quite well--I started bringing a notebook to school and writing in my free time, and I woke up wanting to write every single day. Considering I had woke up hating everything for the past couple months, this was a nice change of pace!
Since then, things have gotten a little less intense--I'm not writing every day, and I don't always feel excited. However, thanks to that first week of intense dedication and passion, something has changed within me (something is not the same...name that song!). I'm writing 3-4 times a week, which is pretty good for someone with a school schedule as stressful as mine, and I'm thinking about my writing and achieving my goals all the time! 
It really goes to show that with a little hard work, you can really start to push yourself towards something you really want to do. I still have a long ways to go--I need to start writing every day, and hopefully for more than ten minutes, if I want to finish Sorcera by my self-established deadline (Want me to post about my new and improved writing goals? Let me know!). I'd also like to start creating a space for myself that I use only for writing, and maybe setting a time I write every day--which is incredibly difficult with my school schedule. However, I think it's important to enjoy the little victories. For me, that's getting over my depression's lack of enthusiasm for my passions, and starting to love my writing again. That's pretty good for a few weeks of work!
I'm so excited to see what this new year holds for me and my writing. I hope you are working hard at your goals. I know you can achieve them if you put in the time and passion that you absolutely have!

Lots of luck,
Kekai 

No comments:

Post a Comment