Friday, January 29, 2016

Young Writer Pet Peeves

We all know that person who says some snide comment about our career choice, either demeaning us, embarrassing us, or simply patronizing us. I've always hated being patronized by people who think they know better than me. Without further ado, these are some of the things I've heard throughout the years about young writers that have bugged the heck out of me!

1. "I've always wanted to write a book too!"

Okay, yeah, we get it. Everyone wants to write a book. But there's a difference between you and me that you don't seem to be getting: I'm actually writing a book. I will encourage anyone to work hard towards their goals and dreams, but I hate when people say this because it makes me think that they seem to think of me as some dumb kid who is never really going to write a book.

2. "You're still an amateur."

Yes, someone has actually said this to me. I'm generally not a fan of a person if they judge me without really knowing my credentials, and this is definitely the case with writing for me. Sure, I may not be published yet, but I will be--and I don't need your negativity in my life.

3. "You might want to major in something other than English..."

I'm always ready to fight anyone who wants to talk with me about college. People often treat students going into English-based fields with disdain, and it pisses me off to no end. First of all, it's no one's business but mine what I chose to pursue in life. Second of all, my college major is no indication of my worth, skills, or talent. Chill out.

4. "It's hard to be a writer!"

Yes. It is. I know. This bugs me because as a young writer, I have been talked down to many a time by many people. There may be some young writers who don't know what they're getting themselves into, but I'm not one of them. Let me do my thing, and you go do yours.

Rant over! I guess what this really comes down to is that I think people should either be encouraging and give thoughtful advice to young, impressionable, and motivated people, rather than talking down to them or discouraging their dreams. I'm going to be a writer with or without your help, so I would much rather you be a positive in my journey than a negative!

Kekai

No comments:

Post a Comment